Did you know that the United States is the largest consumers of ice cream? Vanilla Ice cream is one of everyone’s favorites. Vanilla Extract comes from the plant vanilla planifolia, a member of the orchid family found mainly in Madagascar but also Mexico, parts of South America, and Tahiti. The vanilla extract produced from the plant in each of these areas has its own very distinct characteristics.
This recipe is as simple as it gets for vanilla ice cream, add all the toppings you want to spice or sweeten it up. This vanilla ice cream recipe is rich, so you will be satisfied with just a small one cup serving. You could drizzle Bailey’s Irish Cream, Kahlua or Grand Marnier liquors over the top, serve with a crisp vanilla wafer and wow your adult guests. Accompany with a good strong cup of coffee or tea.
1 cup Whole Milk
2 cups Heavy Cream
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
2 tablespoon Vanilla
pinch of salt
- Place your ice cream bowl into the freezer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar, and salt until the sugar is all dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Turn on your ice cream maker.
- Pour the mixture into your frozen freezer bowl and let mix until mixture thickens, about 20-25 minutes.
- The ice cream will then be a soft, creamy texture. If you would prefer the ice cream to be a firmer consistency transfer the ice cream into a airtight container and place in the freezer.
- Add your toppings and serve.