I love pretzels, it used to be one of my favorite reasons to go to the mall, I would always stop by the pretzel shop. 🙂 This is a simple recipe and they are pretty easy to make. Right at first I had a hard time making them into pretzel shapes, but once you do a couple, you will get the hang of it. Give them a try! Wow your friends with homemade pretzels. I seasoned some with salt, and made of few sweet ones sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.
3 3/4 cup Flour
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 package of fast-acting Dry Yeast
1 1/2 cups Water
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 cup Water
2 teaspoons Soda
- Heat 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat until 125 degrees F.
- While water is warming up, in a large bowl, combine the 2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast till all combined.
- Add the warm water and the oil to the dry mixture, beat with a mixture for 1 minute on low speed.
- Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Stir in the remaining flour until dough is soft, forms a ball and lifts off the side of the bowl.
- Lightly sprinkle flour over cutting board, place the dough in center of flour.
- Knead the dough by folding towards you, then with the heels of your hands, pushing dough away from you with a rocking motion. Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Form dough into a large ball and place plastic wrap or a towel over the dough and let rise for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray cooking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl combine the 1 cup water and baking soda (pretzel wash).
- Divide the dough in half, then in half again and 1 more times.
- With your hands roll the dough out into a rope.
- To make pretzel shape, form rope into a circle, crossing ends at top. Fold dough so crossed ends rest on bottom of circle.
- Stir pretzel wash, brush over both sides of pretzel, using a pastry brush.
- Place pretzel on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover pretzels loosely with plastic wrap. To make thin pretzels, let rest about 5 minutes or until very slightly puffed. To make thicker pretzels, let rise in a warm place 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed.
- Brush pretzels with pretzel wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake 1 cookie sheet at a time 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets to a cooling rack and cool at least 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cooled.