|Heavy Cream||2 cups|
|Egg Yolks||5 large|
|Sugar||1/4 cup plus ½ cup|
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Using a knife split the vanilla bean lengthwise down the center and scrape out the seeds.
- Heat the cream and vanilla bean (Both the scrapings and the bean) in a saucepan over low heat until simmering.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Whisk the eggs yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk into the cream mixture.
- Strain though a wire sieve into a bowl.
- Pour equal amounts into six 6oz ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting pan and add enough hot water in the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake until the custards are barely set, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the pan and cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Position the broiler rack and preheat the broiler.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar evenly over the top of each custard.
- Place the ramekins under the broiler until the sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately.