Apple Pie filling
- Prepare Pie filling as directed, but chop the apples into small pieces.
- Prepare turnovers.
- Bake at 400 degrees F or until crisp and golden brown.
- Cut the warm turnovers in half and spread in half.
- In the space between spoon in a pool of sabayon.
- Sprinkle sauce with chopped walnuts.
Procedure on Turnovers:
- Roll puff pastry dough 1/8 inch think.
- Cut into 4 inch squares. Wash the edges of each with water.
- Place filling on one half of the square, and then fold the opposite corner over.
- Press the edges together and with a fork puncture the tops in two or three places to allow steam to escape. Let them sit for about 30 min.
- Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
|Apples, Peeled and Sliced||2 pounds|
|Water, cold||1/4 cup|
|Lemon Juice||2 teaspoons|
- Sauté the apples lightly in first quantity of butter until they are slightly softened. Add the first quantity of sugar as the apples cook. Let simmer.
- Mix the water and the starch until smooth. Add this mixture to the apples and boil until the liquid is thick and clear.
- Removed from heat. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir gently until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.
- Cool completely.
- Mix in walnuts.
|Bread Flour||2 cups|
|Butter, Melted||5 tablespoons|
|Butter (for rolling)||1 1/4 cup|
Procedure (Puff Pastry):
- Mix the flour and the salt. Place the flour in a mound on a large enough surface you have to work with and make a well in the center of the flour mound.
- Pour melted butter and water into the center. Gradually stir from the inside outward to incorporate the flour into the liquids, making dough.
- Once the dough has formed, knead briefly just until it is smooth. Don’t overwork the dough it will become to elastic and difficult to work with. Gather the dough into a smooth ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Take the butter and place between plastic and soften it and flatten it out by beating with the rolling pin.
- Roll out the down into a large rectangle.
- With the butter still in the plastic, roll it out and square the edges with the rolling pin to make it a rectangle about 2/3 the size of the dough.
- Removed butter from plastic and place it on the bottom 2/3 of the dough. Fold the top third of the dough down over the center to cover half the butter. Fold the bottom 1/3 over the center. The butter should now be enclosed in the dough making 2 layers of butter between 3 layers of dough.
- Roll out to a rectangle then fold into thirds again, refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then repeat 3 more times with roll out, folding and refrigerating.
|Egg Yolks||4 yolks|
|Simple Syrup||7 tablespoons|
|Whipped Crème||1/4 cup|
- Mix the egg yolks and syrup in a stainless-steel bowl.
- Place the bowl over a hot water bath and whip until light, frothy, and pale color.
- Remove the bowl from the hot water bath and continue to whip until cool and doubled in volume.
- Gently fold in the whip cream.